Despite being known as a breakfast food, sweet and savoury granola can add a beautiful crunch and textural element to almost any dish.
This recipe was inspired by Jessica Sepel's Sugar free Granola and I must say that it's something I will make an effort to make as soon as my previous batch is finished!
I'll never forget the day my friend Megs walked in (we were shooting something delicious for our new online magazine called EAT Magazine SA) and she looked at me in surprise and asked, "Huh? You make your own granola?? What happened to marching down to Woolworths??"
Yes, it's that easy, that quick and that good that I can't even imagine replacing it with one from the shops.
This recipe is naturally low in carbs and you can swap the nuts for another type of nut if you'd prefer.
To make this savoury, remove the cinnamon and add an extra 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1 Tbsp organic tamari. Some uses for savoury granola is adding it to roasted vegetables and grain-based salads.
C o c o n u t, C h i a & C i n n a m o n G r a n o l a
2 cups coconut flakes
1 cup chopped hazelnuts
1 cup chopped whole almonds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground turmeric (optional)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 Tbsp raw or Manua honey, or maple syrup if vegan (optional - I usually leave this out)
1. Preheat oven to 120 degrees celcius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the coconut flakes, hazelnuts, almonds, sunflowers seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds and spices into a food processor and blitz a few times. This will chop your nuts further and allow the ingredients to combine.
3. Place the coconut oil onto the stove with the honey/syrup and allow to heat gently. Stir in the honey/syrup then remove from the heat.
4. Pour the granola onto your lined baking tray and drizzle with the coconut oil and honey.
5. Using your hands or two spoons, coat the granola in the coconut oil mix.
6. Spread evenly on the baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. For an even bake, give the granola a stir to turn over after 10 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven once down and allow to cool completely before placing it into an airtight jar or container.
Some delicious extras to add to your baked granola is 2 Tbsp raw cacao nibs and 2 Tbsp dried goji berries.
I love to serve this on yoghurt, skinny scoop ice cream or add it as a topping to my morning smoothies.