Even though the New Year has begun, I'm not ready to say goodbye to some (half) innocent indulgence #sorrynotsorry
This Ultimate Banana Split is the best dessert for your next braai and you can serve with whipped cream or Skinny Scoop's Vanilla Camilla.
The health aspect of this is that I have fried the banana lightly in coconut oil, I have used dark chocolate and sugar free peanut butter, and if you opt for the Skinny Scoop option (highly recommended) then you have yourself a high protein, low-ish carb and good fat dessert.
And of course, when in season, always opt for fresh cherries!
U L T I M A T E B A N A N A S P L I T
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp coconut sugar
2 fresh banana, sliced lengthways and skin removed
2 Tbsp chopped pecans, lightly toasted
60g 70% min dark chocolate, roughly chopped (Afrikoa chocolate goes so well here)
100ml fresh cream
2 Tbsp peanut butter, melted, to serve (Woolies or Omega is best)
Dark chocolate sprinkles, to serve
3 Maraschino cherries, to serve (or fresh if in season)
1 x 175ml tub Vanilla Skinny Scoop or 80ml freshly whipped cream
1. Heat a non stick frying pan and add coconut oil and coconut sugar, Give it a stir and once your sugar has melted into the oil, add banana slices and fry until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes).
2. Meanwhile, make chocolate sauce by heating up cream in a pan over a medium heat. When it starts to lightly simmer, remove from the heat and add in chopped chocolate. Whisk until smooth and set aside.
3. By now your bananas should be done, so remove them from the heat and place them golden side up on your serving plate.
4. Assemble banana split: Drizzle dark chocolate sauce over bananas, then drizzle melted peanut butter.
5. Add Skinny Scoop or three generous dollops of whipped cream down the centre, top with chocolate sprinkles and cherries.
6. Serve immediately with two tea spoons!
PHOTOGRAPHY: Gunther Schubert