Christmas is officially here in 20 sleeps so it's time to have your festive lunch menu sorted!
The Triflemisu is a combination of a trifle and the Italian dessert Tiramisu. And I must say, I need to give my Dad credit for the name and idea for this recipe!
We had way too much Panettone lying around (sometimes there is just too much cake) so he suggested that we make some sort of trifle. And because we're Italian, we had to add a coffee-infused, Nonna-approved flavour combo.
It's packed with chocolatey goodness and will be a total showstopper on your dessert table!
If you have any gold dust lying around, finish the cherries off with a touch of sparkle!
T R I F L E M I S U
6-8 2cm thick slices of panettone
1 cup strong coffee
25ml Amaretto liquor (optional)
1 vanilla bean, split lengthways & seeds scraped out
4 egg yolks
55 caster sugar
1 Tbsp cornflour
400g Crushed amaretti biscuits plus extra for serving
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup caster sugar
250ml mascarpone (beat until slightly thickened, fold in egg whites)
2 egg whites, beaten stiff
Crushed amaretti biscuits
Decorate with more crushed amaretti, lightly toasted flaked almonds and fresh cherries.
1. Lightly soak panettone in coffee and Amaretto liquor. You should just cover each side with liquid.
2. Place on the base of a glass serving bowl.
3. Spoon over vanilla custard: Place cream and vanilla in a small pot over medium heat and bring just to the boil. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar and cornflour. Gradually whisk in the hot cream until just combined.Strain mixture in a sieve and place back into pot. Return the mixture to the heat and stir over a low heat for a further 3-5 minutes or until thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Pour into a bowl, cover in clingfilm and allow to cool. Once cooled, place on soaked panettone slices.
4. Spoon over crushed amaretti biscuits.
5. Top with mascarpone cream: Beat together egg yolks and caster sugar until light. Add mascarpone and beat until slightly thickened. Fold in stiff egg whites. Spread over amaretti biscuit layer.
6. Decorate with crushed amaretti biscuits, 3 tablespoons lightly toasted flaked almonds and fresh cherries.
PHOTOGRAPHY: Gunther Schubert | Vorsprung Studios