With plums in season, we need to celebrate their deliciousness!
Pound cakes are generally very easy to make as they don't require too much stirring and everything just lands up in one big bowl and bam, into the oven it goes!
To spice things up, I added some Chinese 5 Spice and cinnamon, and well as the centre layer of cinnamon sugared plums.
Yes, sugared plums, because we can.
P L U M P O U N D C A K E
8 ripe plums
3 Tbsp brown sugar
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground Chinese 5 Spice
180g butter, room temp
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 ¾ cups cake flour, sifted
½ tsp rock salt
1 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C and grease and line a loaf tin.
2. Halve and stone the plums. Cut each half into three wedges and set aside.
3. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and 5 spice in a bowl and set aside for
4. Meanwhile prepare the cake batter: beat the butter, caster sugar and
vanilla until pale and light. Gradually beat in the eggs, one at a time.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the sifted flour, rock salt and baking powder
and gently stir this into the cake batter, Do not overwork!
6. Spread half of the batter into the base of the load tin then scatter over half
of the plums. Sprinkle half of the brown sugar mixture over the top. Add
the remaining cake batter and repeat the plum and sugar topping.
7. Bake for 70 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove from
the oven and allow to cool completely before removing from the tin.
8. Serve with a dusting of icing sugar and a dollop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!
PHOTOGRAPHY: Gunther Schubert