There's something quite reminiscing about homemade jelly and custard.
With guavas in season, I wanted to pair my jelly recipe (which you can view here) with a twist on a traditional custard.
So I hopped onto google and searched for flavour pairing with guava, and to my surprise, poppy seeds were top of the list!
Serve this warm and if you would like a thicker custard, simply cook it for longer.
V A N I L L A & P O P P Y S E E D C U S T A R D
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1 tsp NOMU Vanilla Paste
4 egg yolks
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 Tbsp poppyseeds
1. Place milk and cream into a saucepan. Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla bean and pop the seeds and husk into the cream mix.
2. Allow to cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat and then remove from the stove.
3. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks, cornstarch and caster until combined.
4. Remove the vanilla bean from the cream mix and then carefully pour the cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking continuously as you do so.
5. Place the pot back on the stove and then strain the egg yolk custard back into the pot.
6. Cook on a low heat for around 20 minutes or until your custard is thick enough to coat the back of a tablespoon. At this point, stir in your poppy seeds so they can cook a bit with the custard.
7. Serve hot with guavas.
PHOTOGRAPHY: Gunther Schubert | Vorspung Studio