Summer is arriving faster than we thought and what better way to celebrate than to have a braai!
Or a barbaque, for you non-South Africans.
I made these mouthwatering Salted Caramel & Chocolate Braai'ed S'mores on the Expresso show last week and they came out beautifully.
Beautifully decadent, gooey and chocolately!
20 digestive biscuits or tennis biscuits
1 jar chocolate spread
1 packet of marshmallows
50g dark chocolate,melted
For the caramel
100g unsalted butter
330g caster sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1. Make the caramel a few hours/ the day before: place cream and butter into a pan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Place the sugar and water in a large pot over low heat and cook, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Then, bring mixture to the boil and cook for 10 minutes (do not stir) or until the colour has reached a dark golden caramel.
3. Remove from the heat and quickly whisk in the cream, butter and salt. Place back on the heat and while whisking, continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
5.Spread about a teaspoon of chocolate spread onto one biscuit and caramel treat onto one biscuit.
6. Place a marshmallow onto a skewer and braai until just burnt.
7. Place braai'ed marshmallow onto chocolate spread biscuit and sandwich together with the salted caramel treat biscuit. Repeat with the remaining biscuits.
8. Melt dark chocolate and drizzle over the S'mores. Serve immediately
Photo cred: Vorsprung Studios