This is a sweet take on a savoury cheese board and a savoury take on a traditional cheesecake! My girlfriends and I often have cheese and wine nights and trust me, if all else fails, we will at least know how to serve the perfect cheese platter.
I wanted to make a little more effort at our last get together as I was hosting our catch-up at my place. Generally all of us girls bring something different to the party, such as one person bringing the Woolies onion marmelade (a must have) and another person bringing the crackers.
I decided to create this torte after tasting a delcious flavour combination at my uncle's place. He served this massive chunk of fresh Parmigiano with fresh blueberries and truffle honey (all of which you can buy from Giovanni's Deli World in Green Point). It was incredible! So here I have put it together in the form of a cheesecake, with a cracker base and a rich filling. If you have the option then PLEASE serve it with truffle honey- your mind will be blown!
This post is dedicated to Kim and Nats, the girls who were my taste testers and the girls who love cheese and wine just as much as I do!
Ricotta & Parmesan Cake with Blueberries, Honey and Truffle Salt
Serves 2 small cakes (10cm diameter tin)
For the base:
30g unsalted butter, softened
40g provita crackers
30g grated parmesan
1/2 tsp truffle salt
For the filling:
100g fresh ricotta
50g grated parmesan
3ml water mixed with 5ml cornflour
80ml fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
2. Grease and line 2x10cm baking tins.
3. Crumble up your provita crackers (I usually put mine a food processor) and add butter, parmesan and truffle salt.
4. Using your hands, mix everything together to make a dough-like texture. Put into cake tins and press down gently with your fingers.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
6. Make the filling by beating together all of our ingredients except the blueberries. Beat until just combined but do not over beat!
7. Stir in blueberries and spoon into cake tins.
8. Bake for 25 minutes. Turn off oven and leave cakes in there for another 30 minutes.
9. Transfer to your fridge to set for 2-3 hours or overnight.
10. Remove from cake tins and serve with some fresh honey/ truffle honey, fresh bueberries and a glass of red wine!