I have received the incredible opportunity to cater the snacks and breakfast options at an incredible gym opening in Cape Town. All of the on-the-go treats must be sugar free, high in protein and the more natural the better! I developed this delicious granola that is packed full of flavour, vitamins, good fats, natural protein and slow releasing carbohydrates, making it a perfect breakfast option! A lot of store bought granolas and mueslis are laden with added sugars, unnecessary fats and silly preservatives so here is a 100% natural option! You can also add some dried apple or dried banana.
I make a whole lot at a time and store it a beautiful, big Consol jar. You might have guessed it, I am a firm believer in storing pantry must-have's in glass jars. This looks and tastes delicious! I serve 1/2 cup of this granola with 120g full cream yoghurt or 1/2 a cup of milk for breakfast. Or I enjoy this with a scoop of whey protein with 80g yoghurt post training.
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup flaked almonds (I like to toast mine before)
1 Tbsp xylitol
3 Tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup dried goji berries
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Place rolled oats, sunflower seeds, walnuts, flaked almonds and xylitol on a large baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper.
3. Melt coconut oil until it just turns into a liquid and add cinnamon. Stir to combine,
4. Pour this over your tray oat mix and stir to coat your dry ingredients.
5. Bake in the over for 10-15 minutes or until oats have become a golden colour. I prefer mine a bit crispy so I bake it for a little longer.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Place all ingredients in a jar or tupperware and stir in your dried goji berries.
7. Enjoy with some plain yoghurt and a drizzle of honey.